killing Rats with Salt

killing Rats with Salt

Unwanted guests like rats can really make your home less enjoyable. These pests not only cause you inconvenience, but they also carry diseases that could endanger you and your loved ones. They may also be very damaging, nibbling through walls, insulation, and even electrical wiring. It’s crucial to take action right away to kick these rats out and protect your home and family.

How It Kills Rats How It’s Used Effectiveness: Pro Guide

Trap TypeHow It Kills RatsHow It’s UsedEffectiveness
Snap TrapsSnap traps use a quick trigger system to trap and kill rats.These traps use enticing bait to lure in rodents.Effectiveness depends on the strength of the trigger system. Stronger traps kill rodents quicker.
Electronic TrapsElectronic traps deliver a high-voltage, humane shock when rats come in contact.Rats are lured into a chamber and electrocuted.Instantly kills rats with a high-voltage shock.
Catch and ReleaseConsidered humane, these traps catch rats for later release.Uses bait to trap rodents inside a small cage.Does not kill rats; allows for the release of captured rodents.
Automatic Gas TrapUses CO2 gas to trap and kill rats.Special lure makes it attractive to rodents.When rats breathe in the gas, they drop and die.

How Does Salt React on Rats?

Based on available data, rats who ingest 80 grams (0.17 lbs) or more of salt take a day or less to succumb to the effects of salt poisoning. Rats cannot survive on more than 70 to 75 grams (0.16 lbs) of salt, and beyond this threshold can result in major neurological issues such muscle paralysis, hearing loss, blindness, weakness, diarrhea, and general inflammation.

The small size of rats means that any excess salt is processed more rapidly in their bodies, resulting in quicker manifestation of negative effects compared to humans. It’s interesting to note that rats who drink water can potentially mitigate the negative effects of consuming too much salt. This implies that although consuming too much salt can be bad for you, drinking water can actually counteract those negative effects.

Contrary to common belief, rats generally do not exhibit a preference for salted foods, as sodium chloride is not a typical choice for them unless it’s naturally present in the items they consume. According to the American Psychological Association, rats do not actively seek out additional salt, as their regular diet already provides an adequate amount.

Foods Best Avoided

Certain foods may not directly cause harm to your rats, but they aren’t necessarily healthy for them either. It’s advisable to avoid giving your rats:

  • Sugary foods
  • Fast food
  • Fried food
  • Highly processed food
  • Sugar substitutes
  • Foods high in sodium
  • Sticky foods (due to choking risk)
  • Carbonated beverages
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Dried corn
  • Citrus peel (refer to The Myth About Citrus)
  • Tap or fluoride-treated water

For clear reasons, it’s essential to steer clear of foods rich in sugar, fat, salt, or anything highly processed or fried. While the occasional tiny taste of a French fry or ice cream might be acceptable, it should never become a regular occurrence, regardless of how much your rats may beg for it.

There’s a myth circulating about carbonated drinks being lethal to rats and mice, although it’s baseless. However, due to rats’ inability to burp or vomit, carbonated drinks may make them uncomfortable. Additionally, the unnecessary sugar or sugar substitutes in these drinks aren’t suitable for rats.

Dried corn is often flagged as a potential concern due to potential mold toxins. While there’s conflicting data on its harm to pets, if you feel uneasy about it, it’s best to avoid offering it to your rats. On the other hand, a few kernels of freshly cooked corn are perfectly safe and enjoyable for your rats.

Dangerous Foods

The Rat and Mouse Club of America states that fungi that frequently grow on grains like corn and peanuts can have a negative impact on rats. Rats that consume high concentrations of the substances these fungi produce may develop tumors. Citrus fruits and their juices, such as oranges, grapefruits, and lemons, should also be avoided by male rats because they may result in renal issues. However, female rats can usually safely consume these fruits.

Moreover, very sticky foods, such as peanut butter, pose a different kind of danger for rats. They have the potential to clog a rat’s jaws and even pose a choking hazard. It’s important for rat owners to be mindful of these dietary considerations to ensure the well-being of their furry companions.

Signs of Rat Infestation In Your House

If you find tiny, black, pellet-like droppings scattered around your home, it’s a clear sign that rats might be making themselves at home. Unfortunately, these little critters don’t just leave their calling cards; they can also bring health risks into your space by leaving urine and feces behind.

Due to their poor vision, rats often leave well-traveled trails in your walls as they move about your home. Not only may they create a mess, but there’s a chance they could harm the structural integrity of your house, which makes this troublesome.

To approach this problem in a more approachable manner:

Locate and Seal Entry Points:

Check your place for any openings or cracks where these rodents might be getting in. Closing these gaps will help keep them out.

Set Traps:

Use traps strategically in areas where you’ve noticed these little guys hanging out. There are different types available, like snap traps or sticky traps.

Keep Things Tidy:

Make sure your living space is spick and span. Rats are attracted to food crumbs, so store your snacks in sealed containers and take the garbage out regularly.

Consider Professional Help:

If the rat situation seems a bit overwhelming, it might be time to call in the pros who know how to handle these furry invaders.

Protect Yourself:

To be safe, wear a mask and gloves when cleaning up after them. Make sure the impacted areas are completely cleansed by using disinfectants.

Health Check:

Seeking advice from a healthcare expert is a good option if you start feeling ill or have concerns about diseases.

It’s critical to handle rat problems quickly for your family’s health and safety as well as for a cleaner home.


Salt Poisoning for Rats: Rats ingesting 80 grams or more of salt succumb to salt poisoning within a day. Beyond 70 to 75 grams, they may experience severe neurological issues such as muscle paralysis, hearing loss, blindness, weakness, diarrhea, and inflammation.

Rapid Salt Processing: The small size of rats allows for rapid processing of excess salt in their bodies, leading to quicker manifestation of negative effects compared to humans.

Mitigation with Water: Rats that drink water can potentially mitigate the negative effects of excessive salt consumption, indicating that water intake can counteract salt’s harmful effects.

Lack of Salt Preference: Contrary to common belief, rats generally do not exhibit a preference for salted foods. Their regular diet provides an adequate amount of sodium chloride, and they do not actively seek additional salt.


Is salt an effective way to kill rats?

While excessive salt can lead to salt poisoning in rats, it is not a recommended or humane method for controlling rat populations.

Do rats actively seek out salted foods?

No, rats generally do not actively seek additional salt, as their regular diet provides an adequate amount.

Can water help mitigate the effects of salt poisoning in rats?

Yes, rats that drink water can potentially mitigate the negative effects of consuming too much salt.

What are the signs of rat infestation in a house?

Signs include tiny, black, pellet-like droppings, well-traveled trails, and urine and feces left behind. Health risks and structural damage may also occur.

How can one handle a rat infestation?

Actions include locating and sealing entry points, setting traps, maintaining cleanliness, considering professional help if needed, wearing protective gear, and seeking healthcare advice if health concerns arise.

Remember, using salt to intentionally harm rats may not be humane or effective, and alternative methods are recommended for pest control.


Rats can succumb to salt poisoning when ingesting 80 grams or more of salt, leading to severe neurological issues. The small size of rats allows for rapid processing of excess salt, resulting in quick negative effects. While rats do not prefer salted foods, their regular diet provides sufficient sodium chloride. Drinking water can help mitigate the harmful effects of excessive salt consumption.